Each day lengthy symposium on children’s palliative vehicle, the 2nd available, was lately locked in Zagreb, Croatia on 7 October 2016. Organizers from the symposium were The Croatian Association of Palliative Medicine – Paediatric Palliative Care Section and also the Croatian Paediatric Society, following a initiative of Prof. Anica Jušić, MD, Ph.D., founding father of the Hospice Movement in Croatia and honorary president from the Croatian Association of Palliative Medicine.
The second Symposium on Paediatric Palliative Care occured underneath the patronage of President of Croatia Mrs Kolinda Grabar Kitarović, the Croatian Secretary of state for Health, the Croatian Secretary of state for Social Policy and Youth and also the Town of Zagreb – City Health Committee.
The symposium was attended by all your customers coping with the issues of treating seriously ill children and supplying all of them with paediatric palliative care within their daily work. This incorporated paediatricians, general practitioners, anaesthesiologists, nurses, psychologists, social workers, work-related therapists, etc.
Throughout the symposium colleagues from neighbouring countries – Italia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovakia distributed to us their encounters in supplying palliative take care of children.
Following the round table discussion The Zagreb Promise of Paediatric Palliative Care was produced. This declaration handles possible types of paediatric palliative care organisations in Croatia and requires serious commitment of stakeholders.
The Zagreb Declaration of Paediatric Palliative Care
An British translation from the Zagreb Promise of Paediatric Palliative Care reads the following:
Based on the World Health Organization’s definition, palliative care is definitely an active comprehensive take care of patients whose disease doesn’t react to any treatment procedures, targeted at maintaining the patient’s quality of existence to the moment of dying.
Distinctive options that come with palliative take care of children include provision from the earliest onset, when illness is diagnosed parallel implementation of palliative procedures with curative medicine unpredictability – children may feel numerous apparently terminal phases the impracticality of predicting the time period of both curative and palliative procedures.
Paediatric palliative care is essential underneath the following conditions:
- Conditions that cure exists, but proves unsuccessful at occasions (e.g. malignant illnesses)
- Conditions in which a premature dying occurs over time of improvement (e.g. cystic fibrosis)
- Continuously progressive conditions, sometimes from birth (e.g. mucopolysaccharidosis)
- Irreversible, non-progressive conditions (e.g. carrying out a severe brain trauma).
While organising palliative take care of children within the Republic of Croatia, we undertake to conform using the IMPaCCT minimal standards, including:
- Improving the caliber of existence from the child and theOrher family.
- Cooperation from the affected family using the paediatric palliative program, which should be readily available and supply continuity.
- Initiation of palliative care soon after diagnosis.
- Implementation of palliative care procedures concurrently with active treatment.
- Host to delivery of palliative care based on the wish from the child and also the family – in your own home, per day hospital, inside a general hospital or hospice.
- Continuity of numerous types of palliative care.
- Meeting the physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual requirements of the kid and also the family.
- The tiniest-size team composed of the physician, a nurse, a psychiatrist, a social worker along with a spiritual advisor .
- The expert paediatric palliative care should be available 24 hrs each day, one year each year.
The necessities for experienceing this put down general concepts to add mass to paediatric palliative care in Croatia are:
- Cooperation between your Secretary of state for Health, Secretary of state for Social Policy and Youth, the Croatian Institute for Medical Health Insurance, municipality units, city governments, church and associations to be able to harmonize palliative take care of children throughout Croatia.
- Inclusion of palliative care concepts into every hospital / paediatric medical institution (allowing family and buddies appointments with the kid, less and fewer invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, dental therapy, discomfort control).
- Growth and development of palliative take care of children by developing day hospitals instead of residence of ill children and also the provision of palliative care in your home of a kid through multidisciplinary mobile teams.
- Organized network of palliative health care providers particularly trained to utilize children, and also the training of volunteers in children’s palliative care that needs to be legally defined.
Croatian Society for Palliative Medicine – Portion of Paediatric Palliative Care
Croatian Paediatric Society CMA